This is such a beautiful pink colour, it’s hard to believe that it’s good for you!! With strawberries, beets, and celery along with some healthy fats and protein, this is one of those smoothies that will keep you satiated all morning.
You can feel good about this smoothie as it has the following health benefits:
Strawberries are powerful antioxidants that have the ability to lower cardiovascular disease and regulate blood sugar levels. And they are anti-inflammatory and delicious providing this smoothie with natural sweetness with a low glycemic impact. One caution with strawberries is that they should be one of your priorities for organic purchases as they are the fruit most likely to have pesticide residues.
Beetroots contain phytonutrients support the liver’s detoxification systems and the strong purple pigment, betacyanin has potent cancer-fighting properties. The beet greens and golden beets are also nutrient-rich and are a valuable source of lutein, important for eye health.
Celery contains a compound called 3-n-butylphthalide (3nB) that has been studied for its effect on reducing high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart attack or stroke. This smoothie is a great way to get extra celery in your diet! You can also enjoy celery:
- Chopped in salads
- Spread with nut or seed butter
- Added to a soup, stew or stir fry
Strawberry Beet Smoothie
- 1 cup Strawberries fresh or frozen
- 1 Beet peeled and chopped
- 1/2 Lemon peeled
- 2 stalks Celery roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp Hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 1 tbsp Almond butter
- 1 cup Water (or you can sub unsweetened almond milk)
- Place all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
- If this smoothie is not sweet enough for you, try adding an apple to sweeten it up.