Cabbage and Apple Salad with Spicy Lemon Vinaigrette
This is a delicious lunch or side salad that is easy to make for a weekday dinner; and leftovers are great for lunch the next day. Serve with a protein of choice to make it a complete meal!
- 1/2 green cabbage, thinly sliced about 6 cups
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional, toasted if desired
Spicy Lemon Dressing
- 1 lemon zest and juice (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chop garlic and allow it to sit as you prepare the rest of the salad ingredients. This will trigger an enzyme reaction that helps to unlock the healthy compounds in garlic.
Thinly slice cabbage, apple, fennel and carrots (this can be done in food processor if desired) and place in salad bowl.
Top salad with chopped cilantro and walnuts (if using).
Place all dressing ingredients in jar with a lid (including the garlic). With lid on the jar, shake to combine, then pour on top of salad.
Toss salad and enjoy with your favourite protein.