There’s nothing like a little cheese sauce on broccoli to make it delicious! Except stay away from the processed Cheez Whiz I grew up with!!
Since many of us are sensitive to dairy, and end up feeling bloated, inflamed and unwell when we eat it, I have created a great solution! This cheese sauce is a delicious (and low-carb) way to enjoy that cheesy flavour without the dairy and refined flour that often goes with it. It includes anti-inflammatory cauliflower as the secret ingredient!
This sauce gets it’s cheezy colour from carrot and it’s cheezy flavour from nutritional yeast. Both have fantastic health benefits.
Carrots are an excellent source of beta-carotene and have been studied for their antioxidant, cardiovascular, bone, liver and eye health properties. The polyacetylenes in carrots have also shown anti-cancer properties in lab studies.
Nutritional Yeast is a good source of protein and fiber as well as the B vitamins B12 and folic acid. Vitamin B12 is is a critical nutrient for the body and is typically only available in animal foods, so this is a great source for those following a vegan diet.
Keep this sauce handy to bring your vegetable and egg dishes to the next level!
Broccoli and “Cheese” Sauce
- 2 cups cauliflower chopped
- 1 carrot chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 bunch broccoli
- Place chopped cauliflower and carrot in top of a steamer basket and steam until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile place all remaining ingredients (except broccoli) into a high speed blender.
- When cauliflower and carrots are done, add them to the blender and place broccoli in the steamer.
- Steam broccoli until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Blend the "cheese" sauce until smooth and add additional sea salt to taste.
- When broccoli is done, serve on plates and top with sauce. Enjoy!