I love broccoli soup and this one is delicious and filling with the addition of green peas. I used frozen peas, but you can try it with fresh peas if they are in season (and let me know how it goes!!). It is easy to make, and has a creaminess and cheesiness from the hemp seeds and nutritional yeast added in. Bonus: the kids loved it! This soup is rich with nutrients and healthy fats and the notable health benefits include:
- Broccoli is a part of the cruciferous family of vegetables that also includes foods such as cabbage, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Broccoli is one of the most nutrient dense foods (particularly broccoli sprouts if you can find them!). It is anti-inflammatory and an excellent source of the antioxidant vitamin C as well as vitamin K, folate and chromium. Also, its indole-3-carbinol and sulforaphane compounds increase excretion of excess estrogen lowering the risk of breast cancer and prostate cancer.
- Green peas are part of the legume family and the ones used here are typically referred to as garden peas (as opposed to sugar snap peas or snow peas where the whole pod is edible). Peas are high in protein, fiber and antioxidant micronutrients that help to provide for blood sugar regulation as well as lower blood pressure and cardiovascular risk.
- Nutritional Yeast – what is nutritional yeast anyway?? Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that has had its nutritional properties enhanced. It contains many B vitamins along with the antioxidant minerals zinc and selenium. It is often fortified with the addition of vitamin B12 making it a great supplement for vegans (as they have difficulties getting sufficient B12 from their diet alone).
Create variety in this recipe by varying up the toppings used, and by adjusting the liquid to make for either a heartier or lighter soup as desired. Enjoy!
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups green peas fresh or frozen
- 6 cups broccoli 1 head
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- additional broth or unsweetened almond milk to thin soup if necessary
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- chopped broccoli or fresh herbs sprinkled on soup
- splash of lemon juice stirred into soup
- Add onion and coconut oil or ghee to soup pot over medium heat. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, broccoli, peas, spices and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and simmer 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add nutritional yeast and hemp seeds. Puree using an immersion blender or high speed blender with vent for steam.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper to taste and add additional toppings as desired. Serve with a salad and/or protein of choice.