Once again, I have a beautiful recipe to share from the From Scratch Cookbook. The recipes in the book are created by fellow Culinary Nutrition Experts and the proceeds go to Thrive, an outstanding Canadian-based not-for-profit that donates 100% of earnings to field projects in Africa.
You will also find one of my recipes in this year’s version!
Today’s Recipe + Photo art by: Laura Collins
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do and consider purchasing the book!
Get In Your Greens Smoothie
- 3 cups filtered cold water
- 6 cups packed mixed baby green s eg chard, kale and spinach
- 4 stalks celery roughly chopped
- 1 Granny Smith apples cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 Bartlett pear cored and coarsely chopped
- 1 kiwi peeled
- 1 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1/2 bunch cilantro or mind coarsely chopped, including stems
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 scoop collagen protein powder or another protein powder of your choice
- Add the water to a high-speed blender. Add the greens and celery and blend for one minute.
- Add the apple, pear, kiwi and avocado and blend for an additional minute. Add the cilantro or mint, lime juice and protein powder and blend until well mixed.
- This smoothie keeps well in the fridge for up to 3 days. Re-blend before each serving.
- Bonus Tip: For a spicy, gut-supportive boost, add a small knob (about 1 cm) of peeled, fresh ginger to the smoothie.