Recipe & Photo Credit: Babe Hackett [@life_of_babe]
Here’s a fantastic guest recipe from a fellow Academy of Culinary Nutrition graduate!
Have you been wondering if food sensitivities are at the root of your health symptoms and are beginning to try to avoid some top allergens to find out?
In trying to avoid gluten, are you stuck with trying to figure out what to eat or resorting to highly processed but gluten-free products? These gluten-free flours and using berries for sweetness are better to support reducing your inflammation.
Here is an answer for a delicious weekend breakfast. These waffles have just the right balance of healthfulness and weekend treat. Make sure to use unsweetened almond milk to avoid added sugars!
And if you love this recipe as much as my family does, then check out the rest of this delicious cookbook called From Scratch (2017 edition). All recipes are donated and the book is a digital download, so 100% of the money raised goes to Community Food Centers Canada.
Gluten Free Pumpkin Waffles with Berries
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/3 cup teff flour
- 1/3 cup millet flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Fresh berries + extra maple syrup, to serve
- In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients – the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. Mix well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, almond milk, coconut oil, pumpkin puree, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Do not over mix. Set aside.
- Heat your waffle iron. Once hot, give your mixture one final stir and pour onto waffle iron. You’ll need about ½ cup per waffle, but the measurement will depend on the size of your iron.
- Cook until brown and crispy. Serve warm with extra maple syrup, berries, or whatever toppings your heart desires.