I am excited once again to be a part of this fabulous charity digital cookbook called “From Scratch”.
Each of the 49 delicious gluten and dairy-free recipes was created by talented alumni of my alma mater The Academy of Culinary Nutrition.
The book itself is beautifully photographed and includes numerous nutrition tips, paleo and vegan options, and pay-what-you-can pricing to support the Thrive charity. Thrive supports African communities to move from reliance on food aid to conditions of self-sufficiency – even into surplus. They do this by equipping small-scale farmers with the resources and knowledge to farm organically and productively.
This recipe is one of the delicious ones included. And I have one of my own featured as well (so exciting!!).
I encourage you to pick up your copy here.
Recipe + Photo Credit: Martha Gerez
Instagram Username: @bymarthagerez
Grain-Free Banana Bread
- 2½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup chopped Brazil nuts or pecans
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 cup coconut oil softened or melted
- 2 large ripe bananas mashed
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs or chia egg for a vegan version (1 Tbsp ground chia + 3 Tbsp water)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips optional
- Preheat the oven at 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper. In a large bowl, mix the almond flour, nuts, flax, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix.
- Add the oil, bananas, honey or maple syrup, eggs and vanilla. Stir until everything is well-mixed and incorporated. Add the chocolate chips, if using.
- Transfer the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown. A toothpick inserted should come out clean.