This is our family’s favourite salad, our kids actually ask for it!! When I am bringing something to a potluck, this is my “go to” recipe.” And best of all, it is super healthy too!! I adapted it from this kale salad, from Damn Delicious. I made it sugar and dairy free and substituted the blueberries since they are more readily available year round.
Kale is particularly high in vitamins K, A and C. It is also a great antioxidant and anti-inflammatory food which helps to reduce oxidative stress. It is also good for cancer prevention and cardiovascular support.
Blueberries are known for their extremely high antioxidant properties. They benefit heart and brain health, and are on the American Institute for Cancer Research’s list of foods that fight cancer.
Quinoa is a great vegan source of protein and healthy fats. And for those with a gluten sensitivity, quinoa can be substituted for gluten-containing grains in many recipes. It is another anti-inflammatory food to include in your diet.
My Fave Blueberry Lemon Salad
- 4 cups kale, ribs removed finely chopped/sliced
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- It is great if you have quinoa leftover from another recipe to save time in assembling this recipe. If not, then you can prep remaining ingredients and dressing while quinoa cooks and cools.
- Place kale into salad bowl and top with remaining salad ingredients.
- Mix dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
- Pour desired amount of dressing onto salad and toss to combine. If you have leftover dressing, it will keep for a few days and can be used on another salad.