I created this salad at the last minute when I has some smoked salmon left to use up. This hearty salad can be served as a side dish or as a main for a light lunch. Make enough for leftovers as this salad is just as good the next day!
The ingredients in this dish have the following health benefits: (source: Encyclopedia of Healing Foods)
Salmon has an exceptionally high content of omega 3 fatty acids. This is shown to be protective against heart disease, Alzheimer’s and cancer. Wild sources tend to be the cleanest, with the lowest levels of heavy metals and pesticides.
Quinoa is a great plant-based source of complete protein. This means that it has all the essential amino acids our body needs in one package for meat eaters and vegans alike. It is also wheat and gluten free, which makes it a good option for those with food sensitivities and celiac.
I had rave reviews from my kids with this recipe. Try it with your family and let me know how you like it!
Smoked Salmon and Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1.5 cups chopped apples I used macintosh
- 0.5 cups sliced red onion
- 0.5 cups chopped pecans
- 4 oz smoked salmon chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1.5 cups chopped cucumber
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 0.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 0.5 tsp ground black pepper
- Place all salad ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Add all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake to combine.
- Pour dressing on top of salad. Toss and serve. Easy and delicious!