This dinner is both easy and versatile. If you have the spice mix preprepared and vegetables pre-chopped, you can throw this together and have it on the table in 30 minutes. The vegetables can be swapped out to suit your preferences, but I love zucchini, beets and onions. They have great health benefits including:
- Zucchini, also called summer squash, is often used in French and Italian cooking. It is a good source of carotenoids, antioxidants as well as vitamin C, B vitamins, fiber and potassium. This vegetable is high in water content and has been shown to produce some anti-inflammatory and blood sugar metabolism benefits. Zucchini is on the Environmental Working Group’s GMO watchlist, so purchase organic varieties if you are looking to avoid GMOs.
- Beets come from the same family as Swiss chard and spinach, but are unique as both the root and greens are edible. The root is a good source of phytonutrients that are beneficial for liver detoxification processes. While beet root is higher in natural sugars than other vegetables, it is also a good source of folic acid and fiber and has been shown to have strong anti-cancer effects in the lab.
- Onions contain high levels of flavanoids and sulfur compounds that provide protection for the heart, bone density and has anti-cancer effects.
Spiced Chicken with Roasted Balsamic Vegetables
- 1 lb chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne adjust the amount based on your tolerance for spice
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted) or high heat avocado oil
Vegetables for roasting – Important: choose vegetables according to your taste preferences
- 3 zucchini cut in chunks
- 1 red onion cut in chunks
- 2 beets trimmed and cut in chunks
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or high heat avocado oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place chicken in oven proof casserole dish and pat dry.
- Mix spices and oil and spoon on top of chicken. Place casserole into oven for 30 minutes.
- Chop vegetables and mix in bowl with oil, balsamic and sea salt. Place on parchment lined baking sheet and add to oven with the chicken. Cook with chicken until tender (about 25 minutes).
- Chicken and vegetables should be done together, and ready to serve. Enjoy!