I got the idea to make these crackers from the Live brand spicy nori crackers that are delicious, but crazy expensive. I decided it was time to try to make them myself for less, and I’m very happy with the result!! I created this recipe to be baked in the oven since not too may households have a dehydrator and also it is much quicker. If you do own a dehydrator however, these snacks would also crisp up very well in the dehydrator for a few hours.
Most crackers are full of refined starches and other undesirable processed ingredients, but not these ones. They are full of nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory goodness. Nutrition benefits include:
- Nori seaweed contains a good source of many minerals including iodine and iron. It is also a good source of vitamin C providing for better absorption of the iron.
- Sunflower seeds contain phytosterol compounds, magnesium and vitamin E that have cardiovascular benefits such as lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. They are also a good source of selenium providing detoxification and cancer benefits.
Spicy Sunflower Nori Snacks
- 3 sheets organic nori seaweed
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. While oven preheats, place all ingredients into a food processor and process until well combined. It's OK if the mixture is not perfectly smooth.
- Lay out a nori sheet, and using a spatula, spread 1/3 of the mixture thinly over the sheet getting as close to the edges as possible. I spread it about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with the 2nd and 3rd sheets.
- Place on a rack in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. I used a drying rack on top of a baking sheet to make it easy to put in and take out of the oven. Start watching them at 15 minutes so they don't get over-browned.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the drying rack. Once cooled, trim the edges and cut into squares or triangles. Enjoy!!