This is a warming dish that is versatile enough to have at breakfast, lunch or dinner. The sweet potato crust eliminates the need for refined starches typically used in quiche crusts, and provides a very high level of vitamin C and potassium.
Important health benefits:
- Sweet potato is unparalleled as an antioxidant, helping to prevent free radical damage in the body. It’s fiber and adiponectin also make it a good regulator of blood sugar.
- Onions contain high levels of flavanoids, sulfur compounds and quercetin that provide protection for the heart and blood vessels.
- Eggs contain a high level of the important liver detox nutrient, choline (in the egg yolk).
Sweet Potato Crusted Quiche with Turkey Sausage
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 lb) peeled and thinly sliced (a mandolin works well for this)
- 2 organic turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 apple cored, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (BPA free can)
- ghee or coconut oil to grease pie dish
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Vegan Parmesan Topping
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400° Grease a 9-inch glass, deep-dish pie pan with avocado oil or ghee. Place sliced sweet potato into pie pan cutting slices as necessary to go up the sides of the pan. Ensure you overlap the slices so there are no spaces. Season with salt and pepper and bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes; keep an eye on it to ensure it doesn’t get too dark.
- While crust is baking, cook sausage in a pan over medium heat, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Cook until no longer pink, and then remove to a large bowl.
- Add onion to pan that sausage was in and cook until translucent. Add chopped apple and continue cooking until softened. Add spinach and cook just until wilted. Remove the onion, apple, spinach mixture to the bowl with the sausage and sprinkle with fresh sage.
- To make topping for quiche, combine cashews, nutritional yeast and salt in a small blender or grinder until it reaches a coarse powder.
- Crack eggs into a bowl and whisk until combined and add coconut milk. Add egg mixture to bowl with other filling ingredients and stir to combine.
- When sweet potato crust is cooked, remove from oven and lower oven temperature to 350° Add filling, top with Vegan Parmesan Topping mixture and place back in the oven for 30 minutes or until egg is set. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing.