GF DF V NF
Recipe + Photo Credit: Candra Reynolds
Looking for a quick one-pot meal to make for dinner? This is a fantastic option. Courtesy of the From Scratch 2018 Cookbook, this recipe was created by one of the Academy of Culinary Nutrition graduates.
It’s a dish that is free of gluten, dairy, and nuts. While we don’t make lentil dishes in our house (due to allergy), they are a fantastic source of protein and fiber. Feel free to substitute another legume in place of the lentils if you wish.
This whole dish is anti-inflammatory with the inclusion of onion, garlic, peppers and pumpkin seeds.
This is an easy one to incorporate into your repertoire of dishes!
Sweet Potato & Lentil Goulash
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 4 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cubed sweet potato
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seed oil
- sea salt to taste
- cayenne to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Rinse lentils and place them in a pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 – 20 minutes.
- In a large pan add 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Turn the heat to medium and add garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add sweet potato, celery, and red pepper. Stir and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked lentils, pumpkin seeds and remaining 2 Tbsp olive oil. Combine mixture and simmer, covered, on low heat for 15 minutes. If anything starts to stick you can add a few tablespoons of water.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin seed oil, salt, and cayenne pepper to taste. Continue to stir away from heat for a few minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped parsley to serve.