These berry walnut muffins are one of the delicious recipes in the From Scratch 2019 digital cookbook for charity. They are great as a special, occasional treat.
Recipe + Photo Credit: Andi Smith
Twitter Username: @_AndiSmith
Instagram Username: @andismith_photo
Facebook URL: www.facebook.com/ashealthwellness/
These berry walnut muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free, and peanut-free. They are high in fiber and are sweetened with honey, applesauce, and blueberries. The orange glaze made with coconut sugar takes them to the next level of decadent.
If you want to keep the sugar down, I suggest
- using unsweetened almond milk,
- swapping out some of the honey for an equal amount of applesauce, and
- skipping the orange glaze (sorry!).
The adjustments above will help to ensure that you gain all the anti-inflammatory benefits of the ingredients in this recipe. The berries are important antioxidant fruits that help reduce inflammation of arthritis. And the addition of cacao nibs which give us the polyphenols that provide anti-inflammatory benefits in the body.
And check out another muffin recipe for variety….healthy banana muffins.
Berry-Walnut Muffins with Orange Glaze
For the muffins
- 1 1/4 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 1/3 cups ground flax meal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- pinch baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
For the glaze
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp fresh pressed orange juice
- 1 tbsp arrowroot starch
- Preheat oven to 325 ˚F and lightly grease or use paper liners in a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together buckwheat flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together eggs, almond milk, honey and applesauce. Combine ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fold in blueberries, cacao nibs and walnuts.
- Fill muffin cups evenly and bake 15-20 minutes. To test that muffins are baked thoroughly, insert a toothpick into the middle of muffin, if it comes out clean they are done.
- While muffins are baking make the glaze. In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the glaze until smooth.
- Cool the muffins for 10 minutes. Drizzle muffins with glaze just before serving.