Our family always likes Mexican night! There’s something about a tomato base, with black beans and the fun of adding optional toppings that everyone loves! Many traditional Mexican dishes include a lot of gluten and dairy ingredients such as wheat tortillas, and toppings such as sour cream and cheese. This soup eliminates these foods without sacrificing the delicious natural flavour of the ingredients. The toppings are varied and allow everyone to customize their own dish. This recipe is especially quick and easy to make if you have the chicken pre-cooked ahead of time.
Also important to note in this recipe are the health benefits of the allicin in the garlic being used. For instance, the blood pressure lowering benefits are well documented in research studies as I discuss in this important heart healthy post.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup Red pepper
- 1/2 cup Yellow pepper
- 1 Jalapeno
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 2 Cooked chicken breasts cubed or shredded (about 2 cups)
- 4 cups Vegetable or chicken stock
- 28 oz can Diced tomatoes
- 2 – 400mL cans Black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- Place chopped onion with a little water in a soup pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil or ghee.
- Sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped red pepper, minced garlic, spices and salt and sauté a couple of minutes longer.
- Add chicken, stock, diced tomatoes, black beans and tomato paste. Stir, cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes.