This is one of my “go-to” recipes as I can vary the taste of this flax bread by adjusting the spices and top it with just about anything!
I first discovered this recipe from The Primitive Palate website. I loved it because it is very low carb and high fiber (both great for weight loss and blood sugar management!), and it makes me feel like I’m eating bread again without the negative side effects.
Since I have been making it a long time, I have made a few changes to create versatility and to add my own healthful touch.
First, I want to go through the health benefits of one of my favourite ingredients, flaxseed. I love to include flax in my diet as it is important for reducing the risk of serious health conditions such as heart disease and breast cancer and reducing inflammation. It is also a great source of fiber, which is important for binding and removing environmental toxins, and excess cholesterol and estrogen from the body.
I mainly use this bread at breakfast and top it with mashed avocado or sliced tomato, or sometimes top it with sunflower seed butter for a snack. It also goes well with a bowl of soup at lunch. I look forward to experimenting with different varieties of flavours and will update the recipe as I create more options!
My Favourite Flax Bread
- 2 cups ground flaxseed I like golden flax as it provides a lighter colour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp each dried rosemary and garlic focaccia bread
- 1 tsp each dried thyme and garlic
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a small glass loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Combine 3 dry ingredients in a medium bowl and add the herb combination you plan on using if desired.
- Combine 3 wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and let sit 1-2 minutes to thicken.
- Fill loaf pan, place in oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until done. Let cool before removing and slicing. I store in the fridge and slice what I need each day.