Once again, I have a beautiful recipe to share from the From Scratch Cookbook. These energy bites are full of taste and easy to share with others because they are nut-free.
They are created by fellow Culinary Nutrition Expert Suzy Larson:
I hope you enjoy making them for your family as much as we do!!
School-Safe Energy Bites
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 12 dried figs chopped
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut divided
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried fruit
Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 cup Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp allspice
- Make the pumpkin pie spice by adding all spices to a mason jar and shake.
- In a food processor, process seeds and figs. Add in carrots, ½ cup coconut, spice, vanilla and sea salt.
- Process another minute until well-combined. Add dried fruit and mix with a spoon.
- Using a ½ Tbsp measuring spoon, scoop out mix and roll into a ball. Repeat with remaining mixture. (They’ll be sticky – wet hands will help.)
- Place remaining coconut on a plate and roll each ball until covered. Refrigerate in a sealed container to store.