One of my favourite foods is chocolate, so I created this light and healthy chocolate mousse that has a delicious taste and flavour without ingredients that will harm your body, inside or out.
I often speak about the anti-inflammatory benefits of cacao, which come from the flavonoids in raw cacao. Pomegranates are loaded with important nutrients and a little goes a long way! Pomegranate juice is said to have three times the antioxidant activity of green tea. Other benefits include those for the heart, joints, brain and athletic performance.
Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and soluble fibre. It also contains beneficial compounds that fight inflammation and nourish the skin from the inside out. Blackcurrants are in season in July and August in Canada and can be found the rest of the year as a powder or in juice or jams. Blackcurrants contain four times the amount of vitamin C as oranges and twice the antioxidants as blueberries. This boosts the health benefits of this recipe since vitamin C helps to metabolize protein into collagen, which is essential for healthful skin and joints.
What sets maple syrup apart from refined sugar is its antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, especially manganese, which is often included therapeutically for inflammatory issues. Manganese also helps to control blood sugar and activate enzymes in metabolism. However, it’s still important to use it in moderation.
So enjoy this yummy treat that is jam packed full of beneficial ingredients!
Vegan Chocolate Mousse with Pomegranate + Blackcurrant
- Blender or food processor
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Toppings: pomegranate arils and blackcurrants
- Add all the ingredients except for the toppings into a blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon out into dessert bowls and add toppings.
- NOTE: If you can’t find fresh blackcurrants, try adding 1 tsp dried powder into the blender with the other ingredients or top with a teaspoon of blackcurrant jam.