This is one of my favourite, quick lunch recipes to make with leftover chicken. And, it also works well in packed lunches. Switching up a heartier leafy green, such as kale, prevents this salad from getting soggy in a lunch box.
The health benefits are numerous such as:
- Celery is thought of as a crunchy, low-calorie snack, but it is also a great source of nutrients such as vitamin K, potassium, fiber and B vitamins.
- Walnuts can be a very important factor in health in many ways. The healthy fats decrease cardiovascular risk, contain antioxidants that improve cognitive function, and help the body deal with stress. Walnuts are also a satiating snack that can keep you full longer thereby helping to control weight.
Waldorf Style Salad with Chicken
- 3 tbsp homemade mayonnaise see link below for recipe
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 small chicken breasts (or 1 large) cooked
- 1 apple cored and cliced
- 1/2 cup seedless grapes halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups mixed greens washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and lemon juice
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add in remaining ingredients, toss to coat and serve on plates.