I decided to try to make coconut butter to give me another option on my flax bread (recipe here!) in the morning. When I’m not in the mood for a smoothie or overnight chia pudding, my flax bread is another great option. I often top it with almond butter or sliced avocado and tomato, but I was looking for a change.
Dried shredded coconut is the only ingredient here, so this recipe is super simple. The health benefits are numerous and include:
Fiber – Coconut is a good source of fiber which is important for helping the body eliminate excess estrogen, toxins, and cholesterol. These are important for general health and for keeping our body’s metabolism functioning optimally to help us maintain a healthy weight.
Iron – Coconut is a good source of iron which is key for helping our bodies circulate oxygen in our blood and for developing and repairing tissues.
Healthy fat – Coconut is an excellent source of healthy plant based fats. Many people fear eating too much fat and are not getting enough of the healthy kind. The fats in coconut actually help to LOWER cholesterol. They are also beneficial for increasing your energy and metabolism, so including them in a weight loss diet is important too.
Some of the ways I enjoy my coconut butter are:
- On my flax bread (of course)
- In smoothies
- Stirred into my Dandy Blend morning beverage (order online with my BFW discount here)
- Direct from the jar (did I say that?)
I recently read about creating a similar spread with toasted coconut from the Healthie Foodie here. I often have a bag of toasted coconut in my pantry, so I’ll be trying that soon!
Yummy Coconut Butter
- 2 cups Dried, unsweetened, shredded coconut
- Place coconut in your food processor or high speed blender. NOTE: I have only done this in my food processor, but you may get a creamier consistency with a Vitamix or similar blender.
- Process until desired consistency. NOTE: you may have to stop and scrape down the sides a few times.
- Spoon into a jar and store at room temperature. This will keep a long time, but I have never let it as it's too delicious!